Inspector’s Tool Kit
The Inspector’s Tool Kit
- Dial Caliper- 0-6 inch.Used for measuring nozzle diameter and inspection of pitot tubes. The dial caliper should have graduation units of 0.001 inches (0.02 mm increments). Also available in electronic display (M5C-3D). Apex Catalog No.: M5C-3M.
- Level Indicator- Analog. Pendulum style level inclinometer with magnetic base. Used for verification of proper construction dimensions and spacing requirements for Type S pitot tube. Also used in measuring yaw angle of Type S pitot tube during verification of absence of cyclonic flow at a sampling location. Apex Catalog No: M5C-1.
- Thermocouple Simulator Source – Thermocouple Simulator Source, Type K thermocouple, Altek Series 22, Direct temperature output 22 steps from 0-2100 degrees Fahrenheit. Used with the Method 5 meter box for checking accuracy of temperature displays and controllers. The thermocouple simulator source should be designed for Type K thermocouples with 22 precise test points. The temperature range should be from 0 to 2100 F. Apex Catalog No.: M5C-22.
- Calibration Orifice Set- Calibration orifice set: 5 calibrated critical orifices and spreadsheet diskette for Federal Reference Method (FRM) 5. The Calibration Orifice Set is used for calibrating and auditing Method 5 metering system to verify DH@ and g. The set should include 5 calibrated orifices with ½ inch quick connects. In addition, a disk with appropriate software/spreadsheet for performing calculations should also be part of the Calibration Orifice Set. Apex Catalog No.: M5CO-SET.
- IsoCal Software- IsoCal spreadsheet, Version 2.2, IsoCalc data collection and reduction spreadsheet (MS Excel Workbook), Methods 1-5. IsoIsoCal Software should be a MicroSoft Excel workbook/3.5” disk designed for integrated isokinetic source sampling calculations. The IsoCal Software should provide all the worksheets necessary to perform US EPA’s Federal Reference Methods (FRMs) 1 through 5 test setup, data entry, and data reduction. Apex Catalog No.: ISOCALC2.2.
- Isokinetic Slide Rule or Calculator- The Isokinetic Slide Rule or Calculator performs isokinetic stack sampling calculations to calculate a proper DH based upon a DP reading, once all the various constants/source parameters have been entered properly into the calculator or performed correctly with the slide ruler. The isokinetic slide ruler or calculator performs the same function as the IsoCal Software Version 2.2. Apex Catalog No. M5A-1.
- Pocket Barometer- Dial aneroid barometer, Range 27.7 “ Hg to 31.3 “ Hg (940 to 1060 MB), brass case.Used to determine atmospheric pressure, readable to within 0.02 inches Hg divisions. Apex Catalog No. BAR-DA833.
- Modular Pitot Tube- Type S 3/8” modular pitot tube with 3 ft. extension (3/8 “ tubing). A modular pitot tube, capable of extension to 1 meter, used to measure stack gas velocity, static pressure, and cyclonic flow. The pitot tube would be used in conjunction with a hand-held digital manometer (0-19.99 inches), which is priced separately. Apex Catalog No.: MPT-6-181/PTE-3/PTB-1/6SC6-S.
- Hand-Held Manometer- Hand-held digital manometer, ½ inch LCD display, 0-19.99 inch H2O range, English/Metric. Used in conjunction with the Modular Pitot Tube. The hand-held digital manometer (readable to 0.01 inches of water) is a useful alternative to the standard size manometer or magnehelic gauge; and is especially ideal for field monitoring and troubleshooting. Measures positive, negative, or differential air pressure. Apex Catalog No.: D477-1.
- Hand-held Digital Thermometers- Mini Type K thermometer, auto off, data hold, calibration screw, Min./Max.F/C switchable range –328 to 2498 F. Used to measure stack temperature and various temperatures associated with the Method 5 sampling train. Should be used with a Type K thermocouple (included) coupled to a hand-held control unit with capability of readings in the range of –328 to 2498 F. Apex Catalog No.: TC-DT307.
- Bull’s Eye Level- Bull’s eye level, ½ inch diameter. Used for indicating level of pitot tube during evaluation with Level Indicator. The Bull’s Eye Level may also be placed on the pitot tube (has thumb screw clamps) during sampling to indicate proper orientation. Apex Catalog No.: M5C-2.
- Tape Measure- Used to document stack geometry and sampling port location from upstream and downstream disturbances. Material should be metal and length of 100 feet. Obtain at hardware store.
- Agency Checklist- Various Agency checklist for observing Federal Reference Methods 1 through 5 and specific SW-846 methods (Methods 0010, 0030, 0050, 0051, 0060, 0061). Provided by EnviroTech Solutions on CD.
- Stack Sampling Nomographs for Field Estimations- Field nomographs used in estimating or checking data used in stack sampling. Four basic groups of nomographs are helpful to the Agency inspector. They are:
- Moisture nomographs (Wet bulb/dry bulb, combustion calculation, FRM 4 etc.);
- Excess air nomographs (Temperature versus excess air, excess air versus composition etc.);
- Velocity and volumetric flow rate nomographs (Coal-fired equipment, volume versus heat input, pitot tube velocity readings etc. ); and
- Concentration and mass emission rate nomographs (ppm emissions, pounds per million BTU, pounds per hour etc.).